The City of Garfield Heights will begin a limited reopening and entry process to the Civic Center only, to include ONLY Council Members, Residents attending Council Meetings and other pertinent City meetings ONLY.

Police Department


File a
Police Report,

Click here!

To view
Accident Reports,

Click here!

To view the
P.D.'s Call Summaries,

Click here!

To request an
Incident Report,

Click here!

For Animal
Warden info,

Click here!

To fill out
a Personnel
Complaint or
Commendation Form,

Click here!


 Chief of Police


 Mark Kaye

 5555 Turney Road

 Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125


 216-475-4472 (fax)

 Records/Parking Permits


 216-475-0639 (Fax)



 Theresa Martin, Administrative Assistant


 Detective Bureau


 Juvenile Bureau




 216-475-1234  or

 9-1-1 (Emergency Calls)

 Dale Merchant, Deputy Chief




Click here for information regarding "Project DAWN"



Accident Reports

All accident reports are uploaded to this website and can be obtained using the link at the top of this page or by clicking here.

Animal Complaints

Please call the Animal Warden at 216-475-1108 or to report stray or nuisance animals.

The normal business hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

     To request a Humane Trap, please click here.
     To fill out an Animal Complaint form, please click here.

Business Emergency Contact Information

All businesses in the Garfield Heights area are requested to provide and keep updated emergency contact information with the Police Department. This paperwork can be completed by stopping by the Records Bureau. This will enable us to contact you if there is a problem at your business after hours.

Contact Information (216) 475-4633

Child Restraint Law

The Ohio Revised Code states that children under 4 years of age or less than 40 pounds must ride in a child restraint safety system. The October 2009 addition to the law requires children between the ages of 4 and 7 to ride in a booster seat until they weigh 40 pounds or more and are taller than 4-foot-9-inches. Ohio's child restraint law calls for adult seat belts for children between the ages of 8 and 14. Persons 15 years of age and older are covered by a separate Ohio seat belt law, according to IIHS. That law requires seat belt use in all seating positions for 8-to-14-year olds. For those over 15, the law only mandates seat belt use in the vehicle’s front seats. 

Copies of Reports

Police records and traffic accident reports can be obtained at the records window located in the main lobby of the Garfield Heights Police Department. The Records Bureau is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Contact Information
(216) 475-4633

Daytime Curfew

Codified Ordinance 531.05 addresses that compulsory school age children are mandated to be in attendance at school and cannot be on the streets or sidewalks between 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on a school day. If a child has a late start or early release school schedule he/she may only be on the streets during the restricted hours if she/he is directly in route to or from school. Any minor violating this ordinance is subject to arrest and appearance in Juvenile Court. Any parent or guardian of a minor violating this ordinance may be issued a citation that will require an appearance in Garfield Heights Municipal Court.

Evening Curfew


Age Group

Prohibited Hours


Children under the age of 12

9:00 p.m. to dawn
9:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
12:00 midnight to 6:00 a.m.

Dog License

Ohio law requires every dog owner to renew their dog’s license between December 1 and January 31 of each year. To obtain or renew a dog license, contact the Cuyahoga County Auditor’s office by phone or online.


Garfield Heights Police Department does not handle fingerprinting for civilians.

Incident Reports

An incident report can be requested via email by clicking on the link at the top of this page or by clicking here.

Jail Information

The Garfield Heights City Jail has been classified as a 12-day facility, meaning we can house prisoners for up to 12 days before we would need to transfer prisoners to another facility. The City Jail is attached to the Police Department/Garfield Heights Municipal Court complex at 5555 Turney Road.

If you are planning to visit a prisoner at the Garfield Heights City Jail, please review the following:

Visiting Hours:



6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.


Visitation Rules:


  1. Each visitor will be required to present a valid ID.

  2. Each visitor will be required to sign the visitor register.

  3. Each visitor must provide the necessary information requested by an officer.

  4. Visits will be limited to 15 minutes.

  5. Each inmate is only allowed 15 minutes during visitation hours.

  6. If the inmate refuses a visit, the visitor will be denied the visit.

  7. Visitors are only allowed to bring the following to inmates: t-shirts, socks, underwear, and/or medications in original prescribed bottle with medication to match.

  8. Inmates are permitted one (1) free phone call, however, they do have access to a pay phone which will enable them to make out-going calls as long as the receiver will accept the charges.

Contact Information
(216) 475-6485

K-9 Team


Welcome New K-9 Officer Echo! Echo was sworn-in on July 12, 2021. 





Garfield Heights Police K9 Unit
Sgt. Merchant/K9 Arlo  |  Ptl. Smith/K9 Jax  |  Ptl. Hace/K9 Rosco

The K-9 Team works regular uniform patrol and responds to a variety of calls such as: burglaries, building searches, article searches, suspect tracking, area/building searches for suspects/narcotics as well as officer-safety assists. Canine officers may also assist on other police calls but the K-9 Team tries to stay available for calls where the K-9 Team may be deployed. Canine teams also participate in many civic functions and educational demonstrations throughout the year.



Drug Dogs

Police Dogs that are used for locating narcotics are called Narcotic Detection or Drug Dogs. These dogs are trained to find the scent of marijuana, heroin, methamphetamine and cocaine. Dogs that make good drug dogs have a high “play or ball drive.” The dogs are trained to search buildings, vehicles, open areas, luggage and packages. A drug dog's “alert,” in itself, may be considered sufficient probable cause for a search warrant to be obtained.

Patrol Dogs

Dogs that are used for locating criminal suspects are called Patrol Dogs. These dogs are trained to locate human scent. A dog's nose is estimated to be anywhere from 100 to 1,000,000 times stronger than the human nose. Patrol dogs search buildings and open areas, track suspects that have fled an area and can locate any evidence that a suspect discards. Patrol dogs search buildings or open areas simply by trying to locate any human scent in that area. A patrol dog can search a building or area faster, with less manpower and more safely and accurately than an officer. A patrol dog is also able to locate evidence that a suspect may have discarded. The dog does this by, again, searching for human scent. When a person handles a gun, knife, wallet or any other object and discards it, that person's scent remains on the object for a period of time. The dog may find this evidence while on a track or when called to search an area after a suspect has been located.

Noise Control

No person shall play any radio, music player, television, audio system, or musical instrument in such a manner or at such volume as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of neighboring inhabitants, nor shall any person play any radio, music player or audio system in a motor vehicle at such a volume as to disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of other persons.

Parking Regulations

There is a parking ban in effect from 3:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. every night. In the event an emergency arises and you need to leave your vehicle in the street overnight, you should contact dispatch at (216) 475-1234. If you need extended overnight parking permission (i.e., new driveway, construction, etc.) you should contact the Records Bureau during business hours at (216) 475-4633.

Annual parking permits are issued in September for residents who do not have enough room in their driveway for all their licensed vehicles. Annual permits can be requested by filling out an application at the Records Bureau during business hours. If the application is approved, the resident will receive a parking sticker for the annual cost of $15.00.


Residents are not allowed to place their rubbish on the curb prior to 6:00 p.m. the night before pick-up. During winter hours residents may place the rubbish on the curb at 4:30 p.m. the night before pick-up.

Snow Ban Restrictions

In the event the Mayor or the Service Director declares a snow emergency, no vehicles can be parked on any street at anytime until the snow emergency has been lifted. Overnight parking permits are not exempt from this restriction.


How do I obtain my vehicle after it has been impounded?

The owner of the vehicle will need to come to the Garfield Heights Police Department with proof of ownership of the vehicle, either the title or registration, and identification. They will be given a tow release form which they will need to then take to the following towing company and pay the following fees:


Standard Tow
Flat Bed Tow
Administration fee
Per day storage

A & H Towing
13100 Broadway Ave.
Garfield Hts., OH 44125
(216) 587-4943

How do I pay for a ticket?

You can pay a ticket that you do not want to contest Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at the Garfield Heights Municipal Court in the Clerk of Court's Office on the 2nd floor.

Where do I call to report a suspected drug house?

Call the Police Department and ask for the Officer-in-Charge. You do not have to leave your name and number. Please have as much information as possible including the address, time/day of most activity and where they make transactions (side door, alley, etc.). If there is a crime in progress, report it to 911.

What should I do if I see a crime being committed?

Call 9-1-1. The person answering will ask you about the type of emergency and its location.

Are people allowed to solicit without approval?

No, a person or person(s) that are looking to solicit within the City of Garfield Heights needs to request a license or Certificate of Registration through the Building Department, which is located at the Garfield Heights Civic Center, 5407 Turney Road.  However, persons going door to door that are only passing out informational pamphlets do not need a permit.  

What do I need to do when I hear the tornado siren?

The siren is activated to warn the citizens that the National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Warning in Cuyahoga County. You should proceed to the basement of your house and tune to a local radio or television station for further information. If you do not have a basement, then you should take shelter in an interior closet. You should avoid calling the Police or Fire Department for information about the siren. The siren is tested on the first Saturday of the month at noon for one minute.


Right Turns on Red Restricted from Interstate 480/Granger Road Exit Ramp

Right turns on red are now restricted from the Interstate 480 exit ramp onto Granger Road in Garfield Heights from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

The regulation was established by previous Mayor Vic Collova who also served as the city’s safety director.

Unused and expired prescription drugs can be disposed of safely at the Garfield Heights Police Station

This county-wide Prescription Drug Drop Box program is helping keep prescription drugs out of landfills and water sources. The drop box is located in the lobby of the police station and is accessible 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

“Anyone can drop off any unneeded or outdated prescription medication, no questions asked,” said Police Chief Robert Byrne.  Needles, liquids or other medical waste is not accepted. Cuyahoga County purchased the boxes for any police department that requested one. The Cuyahoga County Sheriffs department helps collect and weigh the drugs and is responsible for record keeping of what is being disposed.

For additional information about the program, visit or