The Mission of the Garfield Heights Senior Center is to provide a range of services, activities and volunteer opportunities which promote independence for older persons.
The Garfield Heights Senior Center is located in The Civic Center, 5407 Turney Road and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (except holidays). For details, contact Senior Center Coordinator Kathy Rush-Parsson at 216-475-3244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathy Rush-Parsson, LSW, Senior Center Coordinator
Laketia Gaston, Administrative Assistant
Daily Lunch Program
***Due to meal allocation funding cuts, The Garfield Heights Senior Center no longer will serve lunches on Fridays. The funding reduction was made by the Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging. For information about the senior lunch program or to make a reservation, call 216-475-3244.***
- Available to residents of Cuyahoga County 60 years of age or older
- Hot lunches served Monday through Thursday at 11:30 a.m.
- Cost: $1.25 donation - reservations are required please call one week in advance
- Nutrition information
- Transportation to/from The Civic Center for Garfield Heights residents
- Published in the monthly Senior Hi-Lites and on the bulletin board
Blood Pressure Checks
- Second Wednesday of every month from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Medical Insurance Assistance
- By appointment
- 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month
- Every 2nd Thursday of the month
Library on Wheels
- Second Wednesday of every month: 10:45 a.m. (subject to change, check the calendar in the Hi-Lites newsletter)
- Large print books and audio cassette books
Post Office on Wheels
- 4th Tuesday of every month 9:30 a.m. (posted on the calendar in the Hi-Lites Newsletter)
- Assessment by a Social Worker (LSW)
- Homebound meals (Federally funded program)
Meals on Wheels (private pay)
- Available to Garfield Heights residents
- Meal cost: $4.64 daily
- Meals delivered between 11:15 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Call 216-475-3244 for additional information
- For a registration form, please click here.
- Water and sewer discounts (Homestead & Disability)
- Homestead exemption
- HEAP - Ohio Energy Assistance (discounts for gas, October to March)
- Home maintenance loans/grants
- Free income tax assistance provided by trained AARP volunteers
- Call in January to schedule your appointment
Sponsored by the City of Garfield Heights. The Food Bank is available to income-qualifying residents on the third Wednesday of every month, between the hours of 1:00 - 2:00 p.m and the third Thursday of every month between the hours of 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- Sponsored by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health
- See local newspapers in the fall for details
All activities are held at the Senior Center, 5407 Turney Road, Garfield Heights. Yearly registration is required.
- 1st Friday of the month at 12:30 p.m.
- Cost is $1.00
- Daily - informal games if players are available.
- Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Daily: Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Crocheting, knitting and sewing; many items on display and for sale
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. - 9:55a.m.
- Class is FREE
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. - 10:50 a.m.
- Cost .50¢
- Monday and Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Cost .50¢
Senior Fit Class
- Tuesdays and Thursday 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Must have a Doctor's release
- Advanced - Monday at 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday after lunch: 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday at 12:15 p.m.
Parties & Special Events:
- Senior Prom
- Senior Picnic (at Klima Gardens)
- Ice Cream Social
- Halloween Party
- Christmas Party
- We are currently working on scheduling day trips. Trips will be posted at the Senior Center and published in the monthly Senior Hi-Lites newsletter and the Neighborhood News.
- Transportation is provided by the City of Garfield Heights for residents 60 years of age or older or those who have disabilities. Transportation is available within established geographic boundaries. Reservations are required at least 24 hours in advance. Priority is given for dialysis patients and medical appointments. The service that is provided is curb-to-curb (riders must be able to board and deboard independently with minimal assistance). All buses are wheelchair accessible.
- To register, schedule a ride or for more information, call the Senior Center at 216-475-3244 or click here.
Garfield Heights Senior Center's "Crafty Ladies," seated from left, Jo Calabro, Esther Jedlicka, Geri Grzybrowski, Alice LaScola; and standing from left, Alice Becka, Ann McCullough, Yolanda Polizzi, Barb Dines, Rose Jaroszewski and Pam Redel.
Unique Gifts and Cards for all Occasions Available at
Garfield Heights Senior Center
The “Crafty Ladies” at the Garfield Heights Senior Center invite the public to visit the craft room when shopping for a special gift or card. The craft room program participants have created a variety of items including handmade baby blankets, booties and hats, beautiful scarves and delightful decorative items for homes. They also have a discounted selection of cards for all occasions, wrapping paper, gift bags, and more. All of the items are unique and reasonably priced.
The store is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Thursday at the Garfield Heights Senior Center, 5407 Turney Road.